Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Day No. 9 & 10 on O'ahu

Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on, get drunk! 

~Rumi~


Sunday - day 9 - was unexciting. Already on Saturday we recognized weekend traffic on the Kamehameha Highway with more cars than usual going up north. We also had seen the signs along the street at the Kualoa Ranch regarding weekend events. After a late breakfast, I actually climbed back into bed and took another nap. Sometimes you just need such a lazy day.😴 

It was around noon when honking cars drew our attention to the Kamehameha Highway and so we opend the front door to look outside. I had read about the announced car convoy (read the Staradvertiser post behind this link) with which the Hawaiians wanted to express their protest. But that he would lead past our door, I had not expected. Meanwhile for weeks you find the Mauna Kea protests against the 30 meter telescope in the media and I have seen also protest camps along the street at the north shore against the wind turbines. So this convoy was no surprise for me and honestly I appreciate the Hawaiians engagement for their culture and their homeland. I wish other people of other countries would also fight more for their rights and their culture. But I won't go deeper into this topic at this moment.πŸ™Š 


The rest of the day was less spectacular. Except that my honey peeled those 2 coconuts form the day before. 😊 And let me tell you that at this moment (24h later) both coconuts are already ... vanished!πŸ₯₯ πŸ˜‹πŸ₯₯ 






Monday - day 10 - so today, was very special to me.πŸ™πŸ’— In fact I didn't watched the sunrise today but I enjoyed my first coffee on the Lanai and took some time to reply to my overseas friends.πŸ“§ I also call my mom at home at that time so she can go to bed reassured. It doesn't matter how old you are - kids will always stay kids for their parents. That's the way it is and we all know it very well, right? πŸ˜‰

What made this day so special was the date with Kumu Mary. Do you remember her? The Hawaiian Lady that teaches the Hula dance where my host took me last week? Already last week Kumu Mary said that she wanted to show us a special place and so our host, my honey and I got in the car and picked Kumu Mary at her place up. Together we went to Kualoa Ranch, where she is known. Due to her friendship with the ranch owner, she has free access at all times. We passed the tourist area and drove slowly uphill to Paliku Gardens, a beautiful little gem on the Kualoa Ranch.😍 A incredible lovely garden that stretches across different levels which is used for weddings or other ceremonies. We mad a comfortable walk and looked at all the flowers, trees, plants and enjoyed a breathtaking view on Mokoli'i and Kaneohe Bay. Meanwhile Kumu Mary told us Hawaiian legends about the mountains, Mokoli'i, the bay and also about Paliku Gardens. Oh, it was so fascinating and exciting that we noticed the many mosquito bites much later!πŸ˜‚ But no matter, I think the photos speak for themselves, right? 









I have no idea if this amazing place is open to everyone but my honey, our host and I are honored that Kumu Mary has taken the time to show us this place that means so much to her and that she has shared her knowledge of the ancient legends. Before we went back, she chanted a song of thanks, which touched me very much. Like her presence also her voice is somehow special. When I think back, I still get goose bumps. It was just amazing! Kumu Mary, mahalo nui loa e ke Akua pu! πŸ™

This wonderful day ended with a beautiful rise of tonight's full moon. For now I feel very blessed and I'm so thankful to be here, to meet all these unique people and to see these special places. That's the Mana of Hawai'i - at least I think so.

Oh yes ... and tomorrow we'll do the Hawaii50 tour with Amy.😎

Aloha! πŸŒ΄πŸŒΊπŸ™


⤇  Thanks for reading! Comments & thoughts appreciated. ⤆

2 comments:

  1. Maravillosamente hermoso ,me alegro que estΓ©s aprendiendo de las costumbres Hawaianas ,excelente paisaje ,muy hermoso todo te felicito

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muchas gracias! Thank you for reading and I'm glad you like it! Aloha!

    ReplyDelete