Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Day No. 4 on O'ahu

There is so much to see!




I knew it before. Yes, I did but eventually it is simply stunning.πŸ™ After another beautiful sunrise this morning, coffee on the lanai, swimming in the ocean, we drove back to Honolulu today and started our sightseeing with the Aloha Tower. Somehow I expected more people around that area, and also more interesting shops. I don't know if we had been there at the wrong time or if this nearly 100years old building and its surroundings have lost attrativity to the tourism. It hasn't been what I expected, frankly speaking.😳 




  
We took the elevator of the tower and drove up to the top. You have a wonderful and wide view.😊 The tower inside and its elevator tell about its age but if you're with nearly 100 years still that good-looking you can be very glad. πŸ˜‰





After leaving the Aloha Tower Marktplace earlier than we originally had planned we decided to drive to Ala Moana and to have a walk around the Ala Moana Center. I know for sure that some of my friends would love to sneak around the more than 350 stores in that big complex!πŸ˜‰ And indeed it's imposing and the variety of shops seems countless. Those who know me know that I'm no shopping girl and therefore in fact I entered only 2 of the more than 350 stores: Sketchers which is my favorite shoe brand and Honolulu Coffee because of my love to good coffee. Nevertheless this complex is a great place and provides open WiFi also like nearly everywhere in Honolulu. Here, nobody seems to have problems with data regulations, liability problems and other legal inconsistencies regarding open WiFi.πŸ‘†



A short note: 
The open WiFi and also the fact that parking was whether at the Aloha Tower, nor at the Ala Moana Center any problem (means finding a free parking area / place) made me a bit thoughtful. I will come back to this point a bit later again.😢

Sometimes coincidence is your co-driver.😎 Our plan was to drive through Waikiki and enter the Kalaniana'ole Highway (No. 72) for getting on a quite scenic route for the way back to Ka'a'awa. While driving through Waikiki we passed the Hilton Hawaiian Village where a lot of Hawaii Five-0 is filmed and just because my honey took the wrong lane and was forced to turn we accidentally stumble over some signs along the street. And once again, as Hawaii Five-0 fan you get veeeeeeery excited.😍


After this short but exciting detour we finally left Waikiki and passed Kaimuki, 'Aina Haina, Kukiouou-Kalani Iki (which seemes to be a high quality residential area at the hillside of those green mountains), Hawaii Kai, Hanauma Bay, the Lanai Lookout, Makapu'u Point and Waimanalo

I also heard about the so called tent cities before where the people live who can't efford to rent an apartment or even a house. I read about it but again it was the more impressive to see it along the street. They are living in tents or even in their cars. After traveling to the Canary Islands for years, we know that island states have different problems than other states. But considering that there is free WiFi for everyone and that we had no problem finding a free car park in the center of Honolulu (which is a big problem in German cities), it seems strange and even wrong to me there are people who have to live that way - even though they have a job (or even more than one). This is only a personal note, a thought from me. For sure I don't see the whole picture. Enough said. 

The next place on our route was Kailua, where we stopped at a 'Whole Foods' market - thanks to a good hint from one of my Hawaii-experienced Twitter friends. And again Heike was very happy to be able to snoop through the shelves.πŸ˜€ As I said before, I'm not a shopping girl in a classical way but you better don't send me in an american foods store! Without doubt I had one of my highlights finding myself infront of the fresh poke counter.😊 The nice guy behind it offered us to taste and ask what ever we liked. Finally we bought some Shoyu Ahi Poke for at home. For everybody who's not familiar with Poke please follow this link: Hawaii-style ahi poke

When we left the market, it was getting already dark. The rest of the way took us on the 830 and 83 through Kaneohe, Kahaluu and Waikane. At home, we prepared the poke with sprouts and tomatoes and enjoyed it very much. Usually it is made with white rice, but due to my keto diet, we have just taken other "stuff". I think I have a new favorite Hawaiian dish now.😍


Well my friends, another day in paradise comes to end. Even in paradise the mood is not always shiny and good. Indeed we haven't seen the sun after this beautiful sunrise. The entire day was cloudy and muggy. But who cares? We're in Hawai'i! 😎

Aloha! πŸŒ΄πŸŒΊπŸ™


⤇  Thanks for reading! Comments & thoughts appreciated. ⤆

2 comments: